Sunday, February 1, 2009

First Haircut





I was chastised by Julianne for not blogging about Nina's first haircut so even though this is old news - here's the story.


I had known for months that Nina needed a haircut. The part that was her mullet in the back had gotten very long and was full of split ends and tangled too easily, hard to brush, etc. The thing about first haircuts is that it always makes the kid look older. No matter how old they are when they get the haircut, the baby part starts to disappear.


I am usually not a sentimental person - I forget my own birthday, anniversaries, etc. However, for some reason I was feeling sentimental about her first haircut. The only reasoning I have for this is because she grew up SO very fast and acts like a teenager right now. Her baby hair was the only baby part left. So everytime I thought about scheduling an appointment to get it done I just chickened out.


One night in early December I had to go to the grocery store for something and there is a Supercuts (or whatever it is called) right in the same plaza. You don't have to have an appointment there. So, in the spirit of my philosophy of ripping the band-aid off fast, I took her in and got it done. Her hair looks SO much better now - like someone actually cares about it. But sure enough, she looked older and the last bit of baby was gone.

Of course, since it was a sudden decision to get it done, I did not have my camera, an envelope for her hair, etc. I was totally unprepared. Luckily my cell phone takes pictures so I was able to get these two pictures, and the haircutter gave us a nice certificate for the occasion and some hair that i taped to it. The certificate was put on the stack of stuff in her closet for the scrapbooks that I will probably end up asking someone else to make for me someday. I have little faith in myself that I will ever actually get it done.

So there you have it, at three Nina got her first haircut - made me a bit sad but I got over it - time marches on!

7 comments:

Janet said...

We need an after picture!

Grammyzanne said...

In deed we do!

Maybe sometime we can get together and start on that scrapbook.

Shae, Jay, and chillin' said...

I haven't had a problem cutting hair. Of course, I have had a kid who helps me not be sentimental about her hair, as she cuts it herself on occasion. However, with this last baby being a girl I wonder if I will give into that side and let her mullet grow rather than trimming as it grows. Time will tell.

Lynda/Mom said...

I'm with Janet--where's the after? Those cell phones are great, but I have never learned how to use mine. Her hair sure got long! My little grand-daughters have such fine wispy hair, and Jane just dreams of being like Rapunzel. Aunt Lyjda

Tamara Robertson Turner said...

Liz Smith Orton was telling us how she had left Abby with some friends for a few days and came back to a little girl with bangs. She was really bummed because she didn't get to save any of the hair or take any pictures or anything. I think you're not the only one that feels sentimental about the first haircut.

Austin's Mommy said...

Definitely need the after picture. She looks so sad when she doesn't smile. Cute kid. What a cute salon too. Love the floor.

Joanne said...

Ah, it's hard to have them grow up! She is such a smart one that we can't wait to see what happens next.