Thursday, September 25, 2008

"...and suddenly it camed out!"

Ok, let me start with the fact that I was unfortunately one of those know it all teenagers who thought I could do a better job than most. Not to worry, I am getting my just punishments for that now. One of the things I said to myself often was, "My child will never.." Insert whatever you wish there because my child was going to behave perfectly - always. I am now regretting ever having started any sentence with that phrase because all of the things my child would never do, Nina is making sure to do. Here is an example for you - unfortunately in the course of events I was not able to get a picture (sorry Mom).

Dan called in on the main business line Tuesday and the secretary who answered had to track me down to take the call. This is not a good sign - this denotes emergency. I answered and heard a very frustrated - "Why aren't you answering your phone? I have called and called!" My response is, of course, "What is going on?". He sounds very concerned and serious when he says, "Daycare called. Nina stuck a barrette up her nose and needs to go to the doctor." (We only have one car and I had it so he could do nothing about the situation)

Insert here "My child will never get anything stuck up his/her nose!" Of course I start laughing as this phrase echos through my head. He did not think it was very funny. I called daycare and the owner assured me she was fine - acting like nothing was wrong - but they were doing their best to keep her still. I am thinking "yeah, good luck with that" but I said "Thank you, I will be right there".

I am thinking I will drive there and pull it out and come back to work. NOPE! She did a good job of getting it up there and with her allergies she is sniffing constantly so that didn't help. I call the doctor's office and, wonderful people they are, they get her right in. Meanwhile she is sneezing and I am continually asking her to blow her nose. She is very fine with telling everyone what she did and shows the doctor what side, tells her what color it is, etc. I am laughing through this whole process. The doctor tries several times, can't get it out and sends us to the emergency room. While in the waiting room she finally does what she is told and blows really hard and wonder of wonders the hair clip came out. Since there was no blood or apparent pain we left without seeing any more doctors.

On the way home I called Dan and she asked to talk to him. I hear, "Daddy, I stuck a hair clip up my nose and the doctor couldn't get it out so I just blowed and blowed and suddenly it camed out!" She was very proud.

I really hope that she has finally gotten through all the things I said my child would never do!!!!!

4 comments:

Grammyzanne said...

Glad you could laugh - it really is funny and better to enjoy now than ten years from now. I certainly had a good laugh.

Even as good a mother as you are, I am confident Nina has NOT gotten through all the things you said your child would never do.

MaryAnn said...

That is funny! Sounds like you have a kid that will always keep you on your toes.

Shae, Jay, and chillin' said...

At least Nina knows how to blow her nose. I don't know why, but that is a skill my kids don't learn until they are about 7.

Joanne said...

That was a great laugh - especially when all has turned out well after all. I remember a big wad of hamburger one of our kids shoved up "her" nose!!! Thought we'd have to go to the ER but she finally "blew" it out! Wait til she gets the allen wrench stuck inside her hand (not Nina!!). You have years of good laughs ahead - I can tell! (Ok, some laughs come a lot later than the event!) Thanks for sharing!